Skip to main content

"What About Your Friends & Gratefulness"





On Jan. 25th I'll be 37 years old.  For some reason our culture encourages a person to deny their age or at least cling to the idea of being forever 21.  The irony is that you have the option to either get old or die.  I have been thankful for every birthday but this time around I am more grateful than I have ever been to have the chance to be here.  Lately I've had the feeling that time is standing still and I look around and I am grateful for the small things.  I'm challenging myself to be more aware and to be fully present.  I am thankful to breathe in fresh air whenever I go for a walk, I am thankful for the random hugs from my son,  I am thankful for time spent with my mother, I am thankful for the extra care and dedication shown to me by my boyfriend, and I'm thankful to my friends and family for always showing up and reminding me that I am never alone.

I can remember the vision I had for the photo shoot featuring the picture that I've posted in the beginning of this blog entry.  I had just finished my very first chemotherapy treatment and I was in recovery.  I could barely put my thoughts together but I called my cousin Billie and let her know my vision and she helped me to execute it.  I'm so glad that I followed my heart and pushed myself to get this vision from my head into existence.  When I look back on these photos they speak so much love and support to me.  Each one of these ladies are connected to me.  Some by blood but everyone by the heart. There are others not pictured that I've leaned on as well. I have had moments where I could barely stand and my friends have helped me.  I have had moments where I could barely eat and these women have gone out of their way to make sure that I was fed.

All of these moments combined have made me want to be a better friend.  In the same way that they are literally and figuratively holding me up, how can I do the same for them?  Cancer is not and should not be the only reason to be there for a friend.  If either one of them are having a bad day, how can I listen more?  If there is a situation that requires a face to face instead of over the phone, how fast can I get there?  We all have enough going on in our lives to keep us occupied but every now and again we should hold our heads up above our own clouds to see our friends.  I know that self care is important but there is also value in thinking of and caring for the needs of someone else.  It centers you and reminds you that things are not only happening to you.

I have a long way to go in my journey with Breast Cancer (I will provide an update in a later blog), but I know that I wouldn't have made it this far without having a heart of gratefulness and amazing friends and family!

I hope 2019 is off to a good start for you!


Here is the link to my "1 in 8" story...feel free to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBwcehgnSZs


Comments

  1. Thank you for finding the #STRENGTH to connect with us via your blog. Your words of encouragement has always been unique and much needed! Stay strong and keep fighting! Love you cousin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

02-Oct-2018 Hi Everyone, By now you have hopefully read my post and have viewed the YouTube video informing you of my condition.  I knew from the very beginning that somehow I would share my journey but I prayed for a way to do so in a purposeful manner and I'm thankful for the vision and the people who love me that helped me to execute it!  I want you to be inspired to take the time to be concerned about YOU.  I am learning what it means to do just that!  As you can imagine hearing the words that "You have cancer" is life altering.  I felt like I was living someone else's life.  Like, "me?"..."come again say whaaaa?".  I could not think straight and could not eat well for at least 5 days after finding out.  Everything felt like absolutely nothing at all.  That is the best way to describe it.  What I can tell you is that going to Church, singing songs about healing etc; is one thing, but to be faced with a choice to believe in what you have been
As I prepare for my second round of Chemotherapy treatment, I remain encouraged!  The tumor has already decreased in size tremendously from just the first round!  So, in all that I'm about to face it has already proven to be worth it!  There were so many lessons learned from the first time in just learning just how much my body would change so quickly.  I can no longer eat the things that I once loved.  I learned to take it slow and with a lot of trial and error and support from my family, we worked it out! Some good o'l Turnip Soup from my Aunt Mary, and Vegan dishes from my Cousin Billie have turned out to be what jump started me into being able to actually eat and recover! September 12, 2018 was the first day of treatment for me.  I have so much to share in the days leading up to my first treatment to come in a later post.  I must say it all felt and continues to feel like a blanket of God's love and grace helping me to get through this.  Something very special
It has now been 278 days since my diagnosis.  Since that time, I have had countless doctor appointments, 6 rounds of what I like to call harsh chemo AKA a living hell (technical name: Taxotere), double mastectomy and reconstruction, continuous rounds of Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab, etc; I feel like I have experienced World War III inside of my body, at war to live. There is no pretty way to express what it has been like.  I have many down days of feeling overwhelmed with all of the changes that have occurred, and at times it's hard to motivate myself to do much outside of the norm.  However, I am thankful that I have been able to allow those moments to come and go.  I find that it's important that I remain honest with every emotion that I feel in order to maintain control mentally.  To simply expect yourself to not "feel" after such a traumatic experience is in itself crazy.  I feel most hopeful and gain the most strength when I am able to attach what I a